FIRST VISIT GENOA,
SOME IMPORTANT INFORMATIONS ABOUT THIS CITY:
- Old city in the north of Italy
- Called “La Superba” (the superb)
- City of Christopher Columbus (the man who discover Americas) and Paganini (musician)
- The bank was created in Genoa
- Capital of Liguria
- Portofino is near Genoa
- Pesto sauce was born in Genoa
- Also focaccia with cheese was born in Genoa (Recco)
- Boasts Italy’s oldest football club (Genoa 1883)
- St. George is the patron of the city
- Largest seaport in Italy
- The largest Aquarium in Europe
- The first skyscraper was built in Genoa
- Genoa’s flag is the red cross of St. George (from England)
- Happy hour (aperitif) is an old tradition
- Largest old town and medieval centre in Europe (vicoli, carruggi)
- 1992 Expo
- 2004 Genoa is the capital of culture
- A lot of Unesco monuments (Rolli Palaces, Old Town, Churches)
- Staglieno is one of the most important monumental cemetery in Europe
- One of the most important cuisine in Italy
AND NOW, YOU CAN VISIT GENOA:
by walk, by electric-bike, by bus, by boat
MY SPECIAL TIPS FOR VISIT GENOA
ONE DAY IN GENOA
If you have only one day to spend in Genoa, follow my tips.
First, take an hotel near the two railway stations: Genova Brignole (located in the new city) or Genova Principe (located in the old town, near the port. Most dangerous but you are in the middle of the city. Be careful if you want to walk alone in the night!!!)
Wake up early in the morning, and walk inside the medieval centre, the biggest in Europe.
See the old shops, the market and the different culture inside the “vicoli” and “carruggi”.
Smell the scents of the history.
After two hour of walk, go to the Fair district and take an Electric-bike to Zenaverde and make a wonderful guided tour (book the tour before your arriving on the website).
Three hours with bike inside the old town, the old port and up to “Spianata Castelletto” for take an unique picture about Genoa from the top.
Hey, it’s time to lunch.
You can walk and buy some street food.
For example the sandwich called “panino” with ham and cheese or the special “Focaccia” and pizza, or sit down in a bar or little restaurants and taste the famous “Trofiette al pesto”, the typical pasta with pesto sauce.
Take a bus (N° 31 from fair to Boccadasse) and visit the old fisherman port at the end of Genova promenade “Corso Italia”.
More info about bus HERE
Then walk to the promenade and back to the center of the city.
Walk quickly, it’s time to take the “Aperitivo”!
Aperitivo is born in Genoa, don’t you know?
It’s and old tradition.
All bars offer some meal and good food for special price (6/7 €).
Ok, it’s time to dinner.
Genoa offer a lot of restaurant, bar and old tradition “osterie”.
Vico Palla is one of the most famous, with original traditional cuisine (pesto, fish, salad cake and more)
Visit my restaurant review. Click here
Ok, the day is going to the end.
But if you want to drink a special beer or a drink, visit Piazza delle Erbe.
You’ll find a lot of little bar, very cool.
Or going again to Boccadasse to the “Tartana” for taste old rum and whisky.
I hope you’ll spend a great holiday in Genoa.
If you want more tips, please write me or find me on Facebook.
It’ll be a real pleasure to help you to discover this amazing town.